So, I’ve been nominated for a Liebster Blog Award. In fact, I was nominated back in Feburary 2015, but I’m still getting to grips with WordPress and this whole blogging community thing and I’ve only just realised what I need to do in response. It is a great honour, despite my lack of vigilance and general awareness! Please forgive me.
Thank you so much Beverley at One Vegan Day at a Time. Beverly has nominated me for a Liebster Hug, to give a warm nod of encouragement and a fun opportunity to new bloggers who are maybe still stumbling around trying to negotiate this massive community. (which I still am, despite being here over 2 years!) Beverly is blogging her musings along her journey into veganism, she shares many of my concerns and interests and her blog was one of the first I followed as a newbie.
The process for a Liebster hug is a) to link back to the person who nominates me, b) answer their 10 questions, c) nominate 10 other bloggers (generally those with under 200ish followers), d) create 10 questions for them, and e) go to the nominated blogs and let them know about their nomination. This keeps the oxygen moving around our blogs. Simple.
- How did you choose the name for your blog? – About 10 years ago, living in a shared house with a good friend of mine, we were (while probably a little tipsy) preparing aubergine, feta and pesto rolls for a party… The phrase ‘noble aubergine’ was coined that day… and as my good friend is a talented and aspiring writer, and the one who helped me create a WordPress account, the name seemed like a perfect homage to her and the subject of my blog. And of course, because the aubergine is the most noble of vegetables.
- What is your main inspiration for following a plant-based life? – I have the utmost respect for those following a vegan diet, I’ve been vegetarian for about 9 years now and I am heading towards eating mainly dairy free. My plant based diet evolves slowly all the time, but I’m not ready to make that big leap for my whole family just yet… health, nutrition, sustainability and treading peacefully on the Earth are all inspirations and sometime I feel I need to choose between them which is frustrating.
- If you were a vegetable, what would you be? – An aubergine of course! To be honest, I’m more of a carrot I reckon.
- ……and why? – I come from a red headed family and have 2 gorgeous ‘carrot’-top daughters. And also, the carrot is a staple, sweet, versatile, reliable root just like me!
- How vegan is your life outside of food/cooking? – I’m not vegan, and I currently believe that consuming products that are local, sustainable and well produced should come above being a blanket vegan. For example, I’d rather buy honey from the couple who live 2 doors down the road and whose bees visit my own garden, than buy agave nectar which is highly processed and imported from south America. I’d also rather buy high quality leather boots which would last me a lifetime and biodegrade at the end of their natural life, than vegan boots made from plastics which would not wear as well and then spend an eternity in landfill. But having said that I’d not eat meat from that same cow… it’s complex, and I’m not always happy with my own choices. I think that being ‘vegan’ is just one ethical standpoint and it needs to be addressed while looking at other important factors such as sustainability, ethical production methods, and abuses against human rights as well as animal rights. I prefer to consider myself a conscious ethical consumer, and a lot of the time that fits with a vegan lifestyle.
- Do you have a signature dish? – I don’t think so. At work I’m known as the one that will bring in something interesting and vegetarian, a bean dip, or a quinoa salad or something involving lentils. I’m a bit obsessed with putting lentils in almost everything! But I’m also known for my cakes and muffins… I have a lemon poppyseed cake that gets requested quite often, I need to put it on the blog.
- Do you use your phone to take photos, or a camera? – My phone, I don’t think I’d ever get around to publishing any blog posts if I couldn’t edit and upload the picture straight from my phone.
- Are you prone to lapses (or nostalgia)? – Yes, can’t you tell?!
- If so what, when, how? – I do often wonder if I ramble on too much. I write about what I care for and love, food is my passion, and good nutrition and ethical eating is something I want to shout about, but I’m always aware that the recipe should be the focus of the post, I hope that comes across.….
- These are my nominations for the Liebster hug. You people all have something great to say, good food and thoughts to share… and you mostly fit the criteria for a nomination. Keep going and well done.
Her are my 10 questions for you if you choose to respond and share the love.
- Why do you blog?
- What music genre would you most liken your blog to?
- How much time per week do you spend on your blog?
- What’s your inspiration for the way you cook and eat?
- What era in history do you think you would fit most comfortably into and why?
- Real, fictional, dead or alive, who would you like to follow your blog?
- …. and what would their first comment say?
- How long did you think about starting a blog before you actually created it?
- Do you share your life with any animals? What, who, why?
- What advice would you give new bloggers?
I hope this award brightens your day and I look forward to your responses to my questions.
Keep blogging lovely people xx